- Completed intense mediator training program at Northwestern University in the summer of 2013.
- Lectured at negotiating skills workshops, authored negotiating skills materials and successfully resolved hundreds of cases over the past 37 years in private practice.
Trial practice has changed considerably in the last 40 years. Today very few cases reach trial without first being mediated. In fact, many jurisdictions require the parties to complete mediation before the court will set a trial date. Roger Schoeni provides mediation services on behalf of the firm. He has successfully mediated over 200 cases of diverse nature and complexity. Mr. Schoeni’s mediation training and varied experiences, as well his personal and professional approach to mediation, are described below.
- Represented parties on both sides of the bar having tried numerous cases in state and federal courts in Minnesota, Ohio and Kentucky on behalf of Plaintiffs as well as Defendants.
- Represented personal injury claimants who have reached verdicts and/or settlements in cases totaling in excess of $17.5 million. Litigated cases involving wrongful deaths, quadriplegia, product liability, medical malpractice, motor vehicle accidents, insurance disputes, securities fraud, legal malpractice, construction disputes, employment matters, fire losses, adversary proceedings in bankruptcy, patent infringement and others.
- Personally mediated claims involving construction defect, employment, medical malpractice, wrongful death, breach of contract, general personal injury, landlord/tenant, commercial real estate and insurance disputes.
Personal and Professional Approach
Since graduating from the University of Minnesota Law School in 1982, Mr. Schoeni has spent nearly 100% of his time negotiating about or fighting over money. He has appeared before judges, arbitrators, juries, mediators, litigants, shareholders, regulators, administrators, boards of directors and claims professionals. He is well equipped to help others facing similarly stressful situations. He has observed the substantial benefit enjoyed by parties who have resolved their claims. The benefits are both physical and emotional. Because he takes pleasure in helping people resolve their claims, he thoroughly studies the materials provided by the parties and discusses their positions with counsel in advance of mediation. This allows the parties to hit the ground running and move quickly to the merits of their respective positions. He has found preparation, perseverance and patience to be the keys to reaching good results. He tries his best to bring these attributes to every mediation. He looks forward to helping you resolve your dispute.
- Kohnen & Patton offers in-building parking and spacious offices with six conference rooms, the largest of which can comfortably accommodate as many as 26 persons.